Saturday, March 10, 2012

An Ironic Cab Ride and Jet lag

Greetings from Brooklyn, bright and early.

I landed yesterday at 2:45pm, got through customs without a hitch and headed to catch a cab home. I almost always take the subway to/from the airport so when the driver asked how to get to my apartment, I only barely knew the answer :-) Go figure, I'd been traveling for almost 24 hours straight from halfway around the world, and in the home stretch there's a hiccup. I chuckled when the driver asked if my phone had GPS - I had of course been without a smart phone for two weeks. After one of the more frustrating conversations I'd had in the last two weeks, we were on our way :-) (I mean, really...who can't get to the LIE from JFK?!?!)

My plan was to stay awake til 11pm in an attempt to outwit jet lag so I had some time to kill since I got to my apt around 4:30pm. Me being me, I unpacked immediately and besides the various gifts that needs to be given, it would appear that I never went to Kenya. After getting some loads of laundry going I set out to deliver some gifts. Um, holy coldness batman!!! It was nice to be on my bike again though.

I headed to deliver some new friends to my favorite 2 and a half year old and share some stories about all the animals I met in Kenya. I spent some time telling short stories of my adventures, mostly because I was so tired I could barely focus, but also incredibly stimulated by being "back" - so much going on.

After some time I headed back to my apartment and ordered in Thai food and cozied up with a movie, trying my hardest to keep my eyes open. Friday officially was the longest day of my life. We left the hotel in Nairobi at midnight Thursday and got to the airport by 12:30am on Friday.

I woke up this morning bright-eyed and bushy tailed at 5:30am with no hope of falling back asleep. Now I can't tell if that is a matter of jet lag or my "Kenya" schedule where we'd be up by 6 and in bed by 10. In the days to come, I will be uploading all of my photos to flickr and blogging about my journeys. Since I had relatively no internet access there was no live blogging the adventures, instead I resorted to the much preferred pen and paper. Every adventure, meal, mode of transport was documented. In the days, the stories will be posted and you can revisit this incredibly amazing journey with me.

Until then, today will be spent celebrating my friend's one-year anniversary of her store's opening, uploading photos, writing essays (because apparently I like 40% odds and have gone 2 for 2 in my favor), spending time with Stu!, adjusting to this cold - I thought Nairobi was cold after getting back from Mombasa, but this is real cold :-) and of course, dinner with friends.

No comments: