Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11

I've always been a fan of numbers, odd ones in particular. There is an entire rational behind which numbers I like or dislike. The point of this is that today, 11.11.11 has received a lot of hype - as it should. I mean really, it's pretty amazing - the number 11:

(2 digits) 11 x 11 = 121
(6 digits) 111111 x 111111 = 12345654321
(9 digits) 111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321

The Huffington Post calls it the Greatest Binary Day of All. And it's a date that happens once every hundred years.

So for me on 11.11.11, I finished 50 consecutive bikram yoga classes. Today, 11.11.11 at 11:11 I was in the last minutes of my 50th class, likely in a floor bow or half tortoise - peaceful and meditative. Basically I realized that from the day I started until today was 50 classes so I said why not. In the past I did a 60 day challenge, so this time I switched it up a bit. In those 50 classes I took two silent classes, which were amazing. For those of you who aren't familiar with bikram, it is a 90 minute, open eyed meditation consisting of 26 postures and two breathing exercises in a room heated to 104 degrees. Your instructor leads you though the practice with a 90 minute dialogue. So, taking a silent class was something new and completely incredible. The first silent class I took was on the first snow storm in NYC. It was one of the most peaceful experiences. Also during these 50 classes I did two doubles. I did not intend to do a double the first or second time but had such strong classes that I wanted to keep that feeling going. Again, an amazing experience that really tested my physical and mental strength. I am so proud that I completed my challenge - it took determination, discipline, patience and love.

Following the completion of my class, in honor of today and accomplishment I got myself a little gift. A word with a lot of meaning, particularly today, but also in general. A permanent reminder to "dream of revelry." I've been thinking about this little tattoo for awhile, but no day seemed more perfect than today. Accomplishment seeping from my being and a peaceful feeling that will no doubt be carried with me all weekend as I head to the beach. I am so excited to head to the beach and get out of the city for a couple of days, to be by the water and with some of my oldest friends. So here's to being grounded and centered and a new day. I will head back to yoga I'm certain on Monday, but for the weekend, here's to REVELRY.

Also, one more thing, on a lighter note, something you should read because it is simply hysterical! A little Craigslist ad for a used yoga mat.

And now back to 11 and it's amazingness, remember that in Blackjack, an 11 is...time to double down.

No comments: