Friday, December 10, 2010

Angels in America


Tonight, S and I saw Part II of Angels in America. (On November 16th we saw Part I). If you aren't familiar with the play, you should be. I remember hearing of the play ages ago, but I am not a theater buff, so while I knew it's impact, I was not overly concerned with it. That said I soon realized that I could rent the HBO miniseries on Netflix, so I did and I loved it! When I heard that the Signature Theater was producing a 20th Anniversary showing of the play, I had to get tickets. It turns out that tickets weren't that easy to come by, but luckily through a silent auction benefiting PFLAG NYC I was able to purchase tickets!

I thought both plays were phenomenal. Don't get me wrong, they were both long, and I'm a geek when it comes to political stuff, especially as it relates to the LGBT community, but I just thought the play was excellent. I missed Mary Louise Parker playing Harper Pitt (as she did in the HBO miniseries), but all of the actors were great! I'm not going to give you some big review on the piece because, like I said I'm not a theater junky, however, I can say that I completely enjoyed myself and am so, so glad that I was able to see the play.

One of my favorite quotes from the play: "This disease will be the end of many of us, but not nearly all. And the dead will be commemorated, and we'll struggle on with the living, and we are not going away. We won't die secret deaths anymore. The world only spins forward. We will be citizens. The time has come." ~ Prior Walter

It was the "We will be citizens" part that gave me goosebumps.

No comments: