Monday, June 30, 2008

Nalgene thoughts.



So I don't know how many of you out there have Nalgene waterbottles, or something similar but I know I have a handful. Like many people I bought it as a means of cutting down on how many plastic waterbottles I was adding to landfills...but now I've got all these waterbottles and too much research on how they are harmful.

Are you curious to know what to do with your Nalgene bottle now that you know it contains BPA ? Well, I have been looking around for either places to recycle my Nalgenes or other ideas of what I can do with them...Here are a few ideas I've thought were worthwhile...

SolLight awesome because not only are you keeping the Nalgene out of the landfill but you are keeping a bunch of batteries out by using this solarpowered light to turn your Nalgene into a lantern. Plus the added benefit is you now have a hollow, waterproof container to store maps, fire supplies, first aid materials, granola and other snacks...

depending on what size you have you could use it as a:
-penny jar
-to hold pens, pencils, paintbrushes, markers, etc.
-jar to keep your old batteries in until you can recycle them (NYC drop-offs)
-give it to a child in your life filled with crayons and some pages of a coloringbook, or one side used paper, hell, make your own paper and put it in there...
-make noise makers for rallies, marches, parades, protests, etc.
-fill it up only part way and freeze it and use it to keep your lunch cold

I haven't been able to find a place that recylces Nalgenes and other 7 plastics - so for now the alternate uses will have to do...

In NYC here is what you can recycle .

So if you make the decision not you use your Nalgene as a waterbottle, some other options are KleanKanteen , Sigg , or use an old glass container (yes, its breakable.)

WORK TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING .

2 comments:

womanimal said...

damn, those lanterns are cool! i wish i hadn't thrown mine away in a panic when a customer started ranting about how i'm going to get cancer.

Spacegrass said...

Dude, i remember how everyone was buying nalgene b/c they could run it over with their car and it wouldn't break.